I hope all those going to the Flower Festival Parade today have a great time, the weather should be perfect for the event, not to hot and sunny spells.
The traditional allegorical procession of the flower takes to the streets on May 5, at 4 pm, with the participation of 14 troupes.
“It is the biggest ever, comprising 14 groups, 3 more than in 2018 and about 2,000 participants [1,966],” he said, which are presented in the following order:
1. ‘Six Centuries in Bloom’ – João Egídio Rodrigues
2. ‘Joia’ – Isabel Borges
3. ‘Dream of Child’ – Animation Association Geringonça
4. ‘Island, Portal Encantado’ – Turma do Funil
5. “The Waltz of Flowers” – Fura Samba Association
6. ‘The Voyage of Flowers’ – Cultural Association of the Island
7. ‘To the Taste of the Wind’ – Fantasy Smiles
8. ‘La Dolce Vita’ – ANIMAD Association
9. ‘The Circus’ – School of Samba Furada Mug
10. ‘To speak of the flowers: The colourful exuberance of the cortege of flowers’ – Associação Tramas e Enredos
11. ‘The Enchanted Garden’ – Dance Flavourz by Francis Cardoso
12. ‘Eden of the Atlantic’ – Fitness Team
13. ‘Fantasy Island’ – Santos da Festa
14. ‘The Legend of Machim’ – Sweet Dancers
Paula Cabaço highlighted some of the events that make up the program.
On May 4, from 10 o’clock, there is a ceremony of the wall of hope in the town square.
On May 10, at 3:00 p.m., the Solidarity Wall ceremony takes place in the people’s square, which includes the participation of users of various institutions of social solidarity in the Region.
The great novelty of this edition of the Flower Festival is the ‘Project Madeira Flower Collection’, which takes place on May 11, at 6 pm, in Praça do Povo, which is a challenge launched by the Association of Young Entrepreneurs Madeirans, so that they are inspired by the flowers and present unique and unpublished collections. The fashion events will be in charge of 10 regional designers, plus the invited national stylist: Micaela Oliveira.
Another event that presents itself with some news, in this edition, takes place between May 16 and 19, the so-called ‘Flower Concerts’ that will be held, for the first time, in gardens outside the city of Funchal.
• On May 16, at 7:00 p.m., in Jardim Quinta das Cruzes, with the Black & White Dixieland Jazz Band;
• On May 17, at 7:00 p.m., in the garden of Quinta Vigia with the Baroque Ensemble (OCM);
• On May 18, at 5:00 p.m., in the garden of the Caves and Volcano Center of São Vicente with the Municipal Band of Funchal and Triova Voices;
• And finally, on May 19th, at 5:00 pm, in the garden of the Theme Park with the Sissi Imperatriz Orchestra and the Prestige.
Decentralisation of this edition of the Flower Festival
The program also maintains the floral rugs along Avenida Arriaga and at Rua Doutor António José de Almeida, as well as the ‘Flower Market and regional flavors’, which counts on the presence of stands for sale of flowers and the commercialisation of regional products linked to gastronomy and handicrafts.
Paula Cabaço also highlighted the decentralisation of this edition of the Flower Festival.
“In addition to Funchal, we will have initiatives in honour of Flor, which will strengthen the differentiation and complementary of this poster, throughout the Region, in the counties of Ribeira Brava, Calheta and Santa Cruz,” he explained.
This event has a population of more than 5 thousand people and an investment of 600 thousand euros, 100 thousand more than the previous edition.
Not sure where to watch the Parade Live, normally you can on RTPMadeira, but I think people had problems with this last year, If anyone finds a link can they put it in the comments below for others to see.