As Madeira is currently on the green list there is no need to quarantine when arriving in the UK but you must show a negative covid test before travelling to the UK. It can be an antigen or PCR.
On the second day after you arrive in the UK you must do a PCR test. The day you arrive is day zero. This test needs to be booked before your travel back to the UK. In experience from myself and others, it’s best just to book the cheapest day 2 PCR test you can find, you just need the code to put in your locator form. Many people including myself after sending off the test never got any results back, and I emailed the company Danteslabs 4timez and no reply at all.
Note that all Passengers returning to the UK, vaccinated or not, need the day 2 PCR test. This could change soon, but at this moment still stands.
Please fill the passenger locator form before your trip to the UK, this can only be done 48 hours before travel. Fill in your passenger locator form – GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)
Find more about returning to the UK here: Entering the UK – GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)
If you travelled to Madeira and did not use the free covid test option on arrival in Madeira you are entitled to a free antigen or PCR test kindly offered by the Madeira Regional Government.
See below how to use this option:
Procedure to request a free Covid-19 test (PCR or antigen test) before returning to the country of origin:
- Passenger registers on madeirasafe.com;
- Passenger submits the PCR test, with a negative result, performed at the country of origin;
- The health authorities in Madeira and Porto Santo validate the test presented.
After validation, an automatic questionnaire is activated with the following questions:
- Do you need to test for Covid-19 upon returning to your home country?
- YES / NO
- IF YES – Type of test?
- Rapid Antigen;
- Passenger is also questioned about the return date to the country of origin;
- Madeirasafe.com generates an automatic test reservation, considering the passenger’s return date;
- A message with the schedule is sent to the passenger (by email);
- In Madeira, the appointment is scheduled for the Dr. Nélio Mendonça Central Hospital;
- In Porto Santo, the appointment is scheduled for the Porto Santo Health Centre;
- The passenger receives, an official document, with the test result in his e-mail.
Consult the list of pharmacies in the Autonomous Region of Madeira where tourists can schedule their appointment for the purpose of carrying out rapid antigen tests, at their own expense.
Thanks to Mike Prior for sending me this information on how he got his Antigen test to travel to the UK.
This is not the case Madeira app has a facility to request a lateral flow or PCR test on the app and will send you a code via email and a list of pharmacies to contact to Book the test with …..As we were staying at Calheta Beach the hotel staff called the pharmacy for us and booked a time.The pharmacy then sent us an email form to complete and we filled it out, putting the is number received from the app.As we had a hire car we went to the pharmacy and were greeted by other tourists getting the test.
My attention was drawn to a couple that were at the desk who handed over 40 Euros and filled out forms. This will be 20 euros for each Antigen test
We were checked in tested and did not have to pay as we had booked the test through the app.
There were other couples that had been sent to the pharmacy and also paid for the test.
It seems that tourists entitled to the free test if doubled vaccinated are missing out.
If a taxi has to be taken on top of the test fee this could be expensive…..
Booking your free return test with Madeira Safe.
So I have just booked all my family in for their free tests when returning back home. So I know how this works now, and hopefully this will sort out some of the problems you have been having.